Carol Carter

18 December 2009

Acrylics- done and almost done


I am happy with the resolution of the first painting-- I finished it yesterday in the studio. Most of the finishes were done on the nuance of the angel in the foreground. The rest of the painting has texture and weight that I like.

The bottom painting is in mid state. It deviated from my original vision of subject -- late night newspaper stand. So, it's best to leave it alone for a while and move on to another painting.

I will revisit it when I have more objectivity and distance -- and a bit of courage in reclaiming my painting!

Some times when frustration level gets too high on a piece-- it's not good to continue thrashing things out. I find it helpful to step aside.... get new clarity with other work .. and possibly move back to the painting later.

How do you handle frustration in the studio?


Florence Angel
acrylic
12" h x 12" w
2009

Night in Florence
acrylic
12" h x 12" w
2009
unfinished
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Chris Beck said...

I'm with you -- stepping aside is the best strategy when you come up against a block. Letting things work themselves out in the back of your mind is slow, but usually successful.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

The glow you produce with each work amazes me and although not complete, I adore the light in the night time newspaper kiosk. Setting a work aside when you have lost the inspiration for a certain piece, maybe the answer but very difficult to do.

Carol Carter said...

i agree -- it's best to leave pieces alone when you're fatigued with working. There's plenty of time to make better decisions when youa are clear headed. It's difficult to let go and not finish it... but I'm always happoer when I do.